Top 10 Tips for Successful Dressing
1. Invest in good quality tailored clothing that will stand the test of time. Buy conservative suits and trousers that won’t be out of style next season, and use dress shirts and accessories to personalize your fashion statement.
2. Find a competent tailor and treat him or her very well. Proper alterations on suits , trousers and sports coats are critical to your appearance.
3. Be a bit adventurous when matching shirts and ties. A large patterned necktie will work quite well with a small patterned dress shirt, and vice versa. For example, pair a paisley tie with a micro-check dress shirt.
4. Make sure your shoes are shined and appropriate for the rest of your ensemble. For example, don’t wear penny loafers with a suit, or cap toe dress shoes with chinos.
5. Do not underestimate the importance of accessorizing properly. Your belt should match your shoes and your socks should coordinate with your trousers.
6. Make yourself “perspiration proof”. Always wear an undershirt beneath your dress shirt, and carry a handkerchief to wipe perspiration from your hands or brow.
7. Purchase a small, fold-up umbrella and keep it in your briefcase at all times. Nothing takes the crispness out of a man’s appearance like an unexpected rain shower.
8. Unless you are in a profession where artistic flair is expected, always try to err on the side of dressing too conservatively.
9. Emulate ( but don not copy) your boss, or other senior executives at your company, in your manner of dress.
10. Never wear anything that you are not totally comfortable with. People will sense that something is not quite right.